Presentation of the member
The Network of Farmers' and Producers' Organizations of West Africa (Roppa) was founded in 2000 by the gathering of several national platforms of farmers' organizations in West Africa. In 2013, the national platforms of 13 countries are members of Roppa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea Bissau, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Togo, with associate members from Nigeria and Cape Verde.
Roppa's mission is to "promote the development of family farms and peasant agriculture while mastering the policies related to the liberalization of national economies and the globalization of trade".
Roppa has the following objectives:
- To promote and defend the values of a successful and sustainable peasant agriculture at the service of family farms and agricultural producers;
- Inform and train members of POs and associations of agricultural producers from the relevant experiences of Roppa members and other development actors;
- To encourage and support the consultation and structuring of farmers' organizations and agricultural producers in each country with a view to their participation/involvement in the definition and implementation of agricultural and rural development policies and programs;
- To promote solidarity between the farmers' and agricultural producers' organizations that are members of Roppa;
- To ensure the representation of its members at the regional and international levels;
- To promote dialogue and cooperation between Roppa and other similar organizations in the region and the world.
Due to the geographical origin of its members and its mandate, Roppa is mobilized on the dynamics concerning the whole of West Africa.
- Access of family farms to appropriate investments and services;
- Influence of national and regional sectoral policies and programs ;
- Improving the credibility of the network and its platforms through the implementation of management tools and appropriate and effective governance;
- Capacity building of the technical teams of the national platforms and the Executive Secretariat for the implementation of the network's vision.
Magazine peasant vision, roppa policy, roppa business, roppa productivity